AFRIKA KOMMT! Fellowship Program 2018/2020 for Future Leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa (Fully Funded to Germany)
Application Deadline: January 19th 2018
Applications for the AFRIKA KOMMT! 2018/2020 Fellowship program are now being accepted.
19 leading German enterprises founded the initiative AFRIKA KOMMT! in the year 2008 – the very first jointinitiative for capacity building by German industry. After the success of the first five programme intakes and the sixth AFRIKA KOMMT! intake still in process, the seventh AFRIKA KOMMT! intake will follow on seamlessly with the application phase starting 05 December 2017.
Candidates need to fulfil the following formal eligibility requirements:
- University degree in a relevant subject (please see individual company profiles below)
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) is an advantage
- Two to five years of relevant work experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language is an advantage
- Not older than 35 years and physically
Besides the specific technical expertise relevant to the partner company, the programme requires candidates to have the following set of general skills and attributes:
Language and communication skills:
- Excellent English skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- High willingness to learn German
- High leadership potential
- Strong self-motivation and self-starter mentality
- High level of dedication, commitment and target-orientation
- Strong capacity for teamwork
- High level of enthusiasm, flexibility and resilience
- Outstanding intercultural competencies
- Ability to adapt to new environments quickly
At the heart of the AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme is an eight-months practical training in a leading German enterprise benefiting both, fellows and partner companies – a classic win-win situation:
The programme fellows benefit through
- gaining first-hand practical experience in a leading German enterprise
- being exposed to leadership concepts and management techniques in practice
- becoming acquainted with working processes and business culture in German enterprises
- extending their international management competencie
- initiating networks of cooperation partners between Sub-Saharan Africa and German companies
The partner companies benefit through
- establishing networks of cooperation and trust in promising future markets in Sub-Saharan Africa
- extending their experience with the working and business culture in Sub-Saharan Africa
- improving their knowledge about cultures, markets, countries etc. in Sub-Saharan Africa
After five completed programme years, a significant number of the participants now work in the branch office of their respective partner company in Africa.
Key elements of AFRIKA KOMMT!
Financed by the German partner companies, the capacity development programme AFRIKA KOMMT!
consists of the following key components:
1. One-month individual German language preparation course
2. One-year stay in Germany comprising of:
- Two-months intensive German language course
- Eight-months internship in a German partner company
- Three one-week training modules on international management and leadership competencies
- One-week study tour in Germany on relevant subjects, e.g. “Digital Change”
- Weekend seminars on cultural and social subjects organised by the Robert Bosch Stiftung in Stuttgart and the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius in Hamburg
- Cultural weekend activities organised by GIZ
3. Transfer phase after the stay in Germany via GIZ’s online platform Global Campus 21 and integration into the AFRIKA KOMMT! Alumni Network and its regional Alumni Clubs
4. Refresher course in Germany or Africa, approx. 6-12 months after the stay in Germany, offering the former fellows to extend their networks with other alumni and to mutually benefit from their experiences.
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme includes:
- An individual German language course before departure to Germany
- An intensive German language course in Germany including fees, accommodation and living allowance Travelling expenses – Flights, Visa, etc.
- Visa for Germany for one year
- Roundtrip airfare from your home town to Germany and back
- Travel to refresher course and back
- Programme-related travelling expenses in Germany
Monthly living allowance during the theoretical phase
- Monthly living allowance of € 750,- (August, September and October 2018; July 2019)
- One-off relocation fee of € 1.000,- for settling back into the home countries
- Monthly salary during the internship in the companies of approx. € 1.500,- gross
- The monthly allowance of € 750,- and the salary ensures an adequate standard of living in Germany.
- However, the amount is not sufficient to provide financial support for families or relatives and for this reason, they cannot accompany the fellow to Germany. Additionally, the participants have to make arrangements to ensure the subsistence of their families in their home countries during their participation in the programme.
- Accommodation during all stages of the programme in Germany (including internet allowance, electricity, water and other charges)
- Health, accident and liability insurance
- International management training courses
- Study tour and weekend seminars in Germany
- Refresher course in Germany or Africa, including management training
- Alumni networking activities
- AFRIKA KOMMT! is a practice-oriented fellowship programme. Fellows will receive two certificates. One official certificate upon successful completion of the programme with a detailed description of the specific contents and components of the training and one official certificate by the partner company upon successful completion of the internship.
- In addition, fellows will receive a certificate by the Academy for International Cooperation of GIZ GmbH by successful completion of the professional training in the tool “International Competence Development Journal”.
For More Information: