Fully Funded Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship 2018 for young Nigerian Teachers
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) offers scholarships to international teachers who wish to conduct research on school education at designated Japanese universities as Teacher Training Students as follows.
The Embassy of Japan is pleased to inform you that the Government of Japan will provide scholarship for Nigerian Primary/Secondary school teachers who desire to take teacher training course and Japanese language training in Japan. The scholarship is open to graduates of universities and teachers training colleges no more than thirty-four (34) years of age (must be born on or after April 2, 1983), who have taught as teachers at primary/secondary schools or teacher training colleges for at least five years in their home countries at the time of application.
The Embassy will like to use this opportunity to attract Nigerian Schools that wish to start Japanese Language class or course at their school. Beneficiaries shall upon their return, help to promote Japanese Language education in Nigeria.
The scholarship is open to graduates of universities and teachers training colleges, who
- are no more than thirty-four (34) years of age (must be born on or after April 2, 1983);
- have tought as teachers at primary/secondary schools or teacher training colleges for at least five years in their home countries at the time of application.
The Embassy will like to use this opportunity to attract Nigerian schools that wish to start Japanese language class or course at their school. Beneficiaries shall upon their return, help to promote Japanese language education in Nigeria.
143,000 yen per month. In case that the recipient researches in a designated region, 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month will be added. The monetary amount each year may be subject to change due to budgetary reasons. The scholarship is cancelled in principle if the recipient is absent from the university for an extended period.
The scholarship will be also cancelled in principle in the following situations. If the recipient has been receiving the scholarship despite his/her falling under any of the following situations, the recipient will be ordered to return the amount of scholarship that he/she received during the period wherein he/she was involved with any of the following situations:
- The recipient violates any article of his/her pledge to the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology ;
- The recipient is judged to have made a false statement on his/her application;
- The recipient violates any Japanese laws and is sentenced to imprisonment with or without work for life or for a period of exceeding 1 year;
- The recipient is expelled from his/her university or receives other punishment, or is removed from enrollment. The scholarship payment may be stopped during the period up until punishment is decided by the university;
- It has been determined that it will be impossible for the recipient to complete the study course within the standard time period because of poor academic grades, suspension or absent from the university;
- The recipient’s residence status has been changed to one other than “Student”;
- The recipient has received a scholarship from another institution (excluding those specified as being for research expenditures).
Tuition and Other Fees:
Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT.
- Transportation to Japan:
In principle, MEXT stipulates the travel schedule and route, and provides an economy-class airline ticket for the flight from the international airport closest to the recipient’s residence (in
principle, the country of nationality) to the Narita International Airport or to any other international airport in Japan on the normal route to the accepting university. The recipient shall bear at his/her own expense all costs related to domestic travel from the recipient’s residence to the nearest international airport, airport taxes, airport usage fees, special taxes necessary for travel, travel expenses within Japan (including airline transit
costs), travel insurance expenses, expenses related to accompanied or unaccompanied baggage, etc.
[Instruction for SUBMISSION]
- You can obtain the application form online or from the Embassy of Japan (Abuja). For online applications form, click here.
- Completed MEXT scholarship application forms can be submitted by hand or by post to this address below:
Embassy of Japan – Culture & Information Section
No. 9 Bobo Street (Off Gana Street),
Application Closing Date: January 31st, 2018